Thursday, October 9, 2008

Settling into Serious Work

There is no end to discovery with art. That's why I teach, that's why I continue learning. This week I am going to paint with a friend who uses joint compound with acrylic paints and sands between layers. I've had a big bucket of joint compound for some time, just waiting for the right time to get in and explore with it. I am blessed with wonderful friend-artists who freely share what they know. Also getting ready for the Holiday Showcase at Salem Art Association, so that is always a challenge to create one-of-a-kind but affordable art. Just as much work goes into small pieces as large. Just as much creativity and planning but that can be replicated easily and appealing as an irresistable gift for the discriminating holiday shopper. Trying to separate art from kitsch, fine art from craft. I've adopted a quote to sign off with, which will inspire and float me for awhile until I hear the next inspiring thought to share: "Peace demands the most heroic labor and the most difficult sacrifice. It demands greater heroism than war. It demands greater fidelity to the truth and a much more perfect purity of conscience."
- from "Thomas Merton on Peace"

No comments: